The first line of the Moscow Metro was opened in the Soviet Union on this day in 1935. The first line of the Moscow Metro passed near the northern corner of the Kremlin. It connected Sokolniki Moscow Metro station and Park Kultury Moscow Metro station. It was opened with an 11-kilometer line, and had 13 stations. One station was located at the famous Lubyanka Prison, northeast of the Red Square.
It is interesting that the British took part in the construction of the Moscow Metro (London has the longest tradition regarding underground railways). Techniques for digging tunnels were used, rather than surface excavations and subsequent backfill.