Interestingly, the command of the British occupation zone in Austria was located in the famous Schönbrunn Castle, which was once ruled by Empress Maria Theresa.
On July 27, 1955, the occupation of Austria by Allied forces, which had lasted since 1945, ended. Great Britain, the United States, France and the Soviet Union thus enabled the restoration of Austrian independence. Over the past ten years, Austria has been divided into four occupation zones, similar to neighboring Germany. However, while East Germany remained in the sphere of the USSR, in Austria the Soviets allowed the merger of their part with the rest of the country, subject to Austrian neutrality (non-affiliation with military alliances such as NATO).
From 1945 to 1955, the Soviet Union occupied Lower Austria, part of Upper Austria, Burgenland and a significant part of Vienna. The command of the Soviet zone was located in the Epstein Palace in Vienna, near the building of the Austrian Parliament. Interestingly, the British command was located in the famous Schönbrunn Castle, which was once ruled by Empress Maria Theresa. The Americans had their headquarters in the building of the Austrian National Bank, and the French in the building of the Hotel Kummer in Vienna’s Mariahilf district.