He was appointed one of the heads of the Nazi euthanasia program – the infamous Aktion T4.
Dr. Karl Brandt completed his medical studies in 1928. He joined the Nazi Party (NSDAP) and after Hitler came to power became one of the doctors who performed abortions on women who were thought to have genetic defects such as mental disorders or physical handicaps. Namely, Nazi propaganda even published posters warning the population that people with hereditary diseases cost society 60,000 marks over a lifetime, and that such cases should be prevented. From 1934, Brandt was Hitler’s personal companion physician (Persönlicher Begleitarzt des Führers).
He was appointed one of the heads of the Nazi euthanasia program – the infamous Aktion T4 (named after Tiergartenstrasse 4 in Berlin where the program was headquartered). Aktion T4 was a program to kill people with incurable diseases or with physical and mental disabilities, under the pretext that leaving them alive was spending state money unnecessarily. It is estimated that more than 200,000 people were killed in this way (by some estimates as many as 275,000). Dr. Brandt rose to the high rank of SS-Gruppenführer (the equivalent of a military general). He was a member of Hitler’s private circle at the Berchtesgaden mansion. After the war he was arrested by the Allies. He was convicted and executed on June 2, 1948, in the Bavarian Landsberg prison.