21.02.

1958: Symbol of Peace Created

1958: Symbol of Peace Created
Photo Credit To http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Peace_symbol.svg

The symbol was created by merging the signals for the letters N and D (Nuclear Disarmament) in the so-called “semaphore signals” that are given by the movement of flags.

Professional artist and designer Gerald Holtom designed the international peace symbol in 1958. He did it as a logo for the Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament. The symbol was created by merging the signals for the letters N and D (Nuclear Disarmament) in the so-called “semaphore signals” that are given by the movement of flags.

The symbol for the letter N is Λ, and for the letter D it is |. These two symbols are placed within a circle. The designer’s inspiration for the symbol was also what resembles a man standing with open arms in despair over the horror of war. The logo was not protected by copyright from the beginning, so it was soon adopted as the international symbol for peace.

This symbol is also known as the Cross of St. Peter because he was crucified upside down on Emperor Nero’s orders. In recent times it is also used as an anti-Christian symbol.

Facebook Comments

Related posts